Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables - Jennifer Lee Carrell, L.M. Montgomery Oh my... You know I was actually looking forward quite eagerly to writing this review as I neared the end of the book. I truly love this old Canadian story. I first tried out the movies starring Megan Follows a few years ago just to quench my curiosity. I immediately fell in love with Anne Shirley and the whole story and all the details and imagery and character of Avonlea.

*Note* SPOILERS AHEAD

I found myself deeply involved with the characters of Marilla and Matthew. I shared the emotional ups and downs that were Anne's beginnings and Anne's formative years. Whenever she achieved, I found myself cheering her on. I found myself laughing out loud at the wonderfully creative narrative L.M. Montgomery graced me with as a reader. I found myself to be deeply saddened when the death of Matthew occurred and equally emotional on the flipside, when Anne succeeded in her scholarly ambitions. One of my most favourite moments in the novel might be one of the simplest and quaint, but when Matthew bought Anne her dress with puffed sleeves, well I knew right there I was reading some of the most honestly beautiful and personal storytelling I have ever come across.

I finally decided to experience this story in its original written form and I'm glad I did. The movies did the story great justice, but the book just takes you way beyond, as they usually and unsurprisingly tend to do.

I will be continuing my journey through as many of the books in the series as I can.
If you're unacquainted with this gem of a story, do yourself a favour and dive in. All you'll need is an open heart and a propensity and capacity for innocence and simple pleasures to really get swept away and marked forever.